Thursday, February 4, 2010

Inspiration and Writing Assignments

I had never heard of Inspiration before now, but it seems like a neat way to make presentations. I think I would like the diagram and map features. I already like to organize information into outlines or maps, and I like how with Inspiration I could create those easily and even add images to them. I also thought it was cool to be able to switch between the diagram and outline views, because I could put all the information into an outline and the program makes that into a diagram. Also, the presentation manager looks a lot like PowerPoint, but it seems like it might be even easier to use. I would probably use Inspiration to make more interesting presentations for my lessons, maybe for a history or cultural lesson. My students could also use the program to create presentation projects. Overall, I think Inspiration looks like an easy way to make creative presentations.

For writing activities, I think using a program like Inspiration would allow students to make concept maps and organize their ideas before they write an actual paper. Students could even use their maps as presentations, after which they would get feedback from both the teacher and the rest of the class. This would combine two assignments, a paper and a presentation. I like this idea because rather than writing a paper and simply reading it out loud to the class, students could make a more interesting-looking concept map, then after the presentation and feedback, put the information into an organized paper. I also think blogs could be a good way to use technology in writing. I would like to have a class blog (like I described in my previous post) where students could post their writing assignments. Students could make comments on each other’s posts and offer feedback or ideas for revision. This way, we would not need to use up class time peer-reviewing, but students could display their work, see others’ work, and help each other make changes in their writing.

I know that any time I have to make a presentation teaching a certain topic, or even when I’m teaching someone how to do something in everyday life, I learn more about that topic than what I already knew. For a class presentation, there is usually research involved and a lot of time spent focusing on the topic. I learn as much as I can about it so that I can present all that I know to the class, and so I can answer any questions people may ask. Teaching other people definitely helps me learn more about the subject I’m teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I also like the fact that inspiration seems a little easier to manage. When I was watching the power point part of the video, I felt that it was a little easier than the regular one. It impacted me because I usually have more trouble with power point. At the same time, it is neat how you can add images fast and easy. Out of the great benefits we can obtain from inspiration, I also felt that it will be the most beneficial when used to writing a paper. We usually have the mentality that writing a paper will take us hours and hours. By using inspiration we can organize our papers, finish faster, and be more successful all at the same time.
    Adriel

    ReplyDelete